It is important for you to follow these guidelines before surgery to prevent delay or cancellations.
Food and Drink
The night before your surgery you may eat a light meal before 11:00 p.m. Do not eat anything after midnight, you make have water, black coffee, apple juice, cranberry juice and plain tea up to 2 hours prior to your arrival time. You may brush your teeth, remembering not to swallow anything.
Do not drink alcohol for at least 12 hours before your arrival.
No smoking/tobacco after midnight the night before your surgery.
Makeup, Nail Polish, Jewelry (including body jewelry)
Please remove all these items before surgery.
Wear loose, casual, comfortable clothing to fit over dressings.
Please leave valuables at home.
Please take all normal morning medication especially heart and blood pressure medications. Do not take diabetic medications. Short acting insulin hold, intermediate 1/2 dose in the morning, long acting if you take one dose take 1/2 in the morning. If long is taken twice, once in the morning and once at night, please hold day of prior to surgery.
Notify The Center & Your Surgeon If:
- You have an elevated temperature, cough, cold, vomiting or diarrhea between your last visit to the surgeon and the day of your surgery.
- You suspect you may be pregnant.
- You are taking: diet pills, aspirin, ibuprofen, blood thinners, or certain herbal medicines. You may need to stop taking these 1-2 weeks before your surgery. You can discuss this with your surgeon.
What You Need The Day Of The Surgery:
- Information To Bring: Insurance cards, photo ID, Medicare or Medical Assistance information, escort’s phone number, and addresses.
- Driver: You must plan to have a responsible adult drive you home. Do not plan to use taxis or other public transportation unless your escort accompanies you.
- Escort: A friend, relative or dedicated caregiver MUST stay with you for 24 hours.
- Legal Guardian: A legal guardian must be in the center AT ALL TIMES for children and dependent adults.
- Interpreter: If the patient cannot read, speak English or use sign language, an interpreter is required. If you need assistance arranging for an interpreter, please contact the Scheduling department 301-657-8200 as soon as possible.